By legislative mandate, the Oil and Gas Program of the Utah Division of Oil, Gas and Mining has oversight responsibility of the following:
(1) All operations for and related to the production of oil or natural gas including: drilling, testing, equipping, completing, operating, producing, and plugging of wells, and reclamation of sites.
(2) The spacing and location of wells
(3) Operations to increase ultimate recovery, such as: cycling of natural gas, the maintenance of pressure, and the introduction of natural gas, water, or other substances into a reservoir.
(4) The disposal of salt water and oil-field wastes.
(5) The underground and surface storage of oil, natural gas, or products.
(6) The flaring of natural gas from an oil well.
Their mission is to promote the exploration, development and conservation of oil and gas resources, to foster a fair economic return to the general public for those resources, and to maintain sound, regulatory oversight to ensure environmentally acceptable activities.